SEARCH THE SITE:
Bridging the Years - Ceremony at MacMahon BridgeThe Lord Mayor of Dublin, Councillor Paddy Bourke officiated at a ceremony to mark the rebuilding of MacMahon Bridge over the Grand Canal Dock at Pearse Street/Ringsend Road, on Friday, 30th May, 2008 at 11.30pm.
The 2007 MacMahon bridge is the 5th bridge to be constructed over the Grand Canal Dock at this site. Early records indicate that a wooden bascule bridge, the Brunswick Bascule, was constructed at the site in 1791 and was replaced in 1857 by the Victoria Bridge. A new one with the same name in the early 1900s then replaced this bridge.
The 4th bridge opened in 1963 was named MacMahon Bridge after General Seán MacMahon who fought with Eamon deValera at Bolands Mills in 1916 and later became Chief of Staff of the Irish Army. Members of the MacMahon family will be present along with members of the Defence Forces who will provide a Guard of Honour.
President Eamon deValera unveiled the original plaque on the bridge in 1963. This plaque has been refurbished and reinstalled on the bridge.
According to the Lord Mayor, “Apart from its important historical significance, this bridge is a crucial link in the traffic management of the city, carrying up to 16,000 vehicles per day, and is vital to the operation of the South Port. It also greatly facilitates the switch to public transport by commuters and residents and links the existing communities in the Pearse Street area with the newly developed Docklands developments and the villages of Ringsend, Irishtown and Sandymount. This bridge is a symbol of our historical past and a crucial transport link to our future. Having members of the MacMahon family present today makes this event all the more special.”
In 2005, Dublin City Council adopted a proposal to replace MacMahon Bridge with a modern fixed span bridge with outer elliptical stainless steel glass clad arches.
The 2007 MacMahon Bridge consists of a cantilevered structure over existing Quay Walls, for the full 90-metre length of causeway in order to provide adequate width for two traffic lanes and two bus lanes.
Works were completed in September 2007 at total project cost of €4M. The Department of Environment Heritage and Local Government and Department of Transport provided a grant of €2.5M for this project under the National Development Plan.
Mott MacDonald Petit, Consulting Engineers in collaboration with Paul Arnold Architects designed the bridge while SIAC Construction was the main contractor.
Further information available from Dublin City Council Press Office, 2222170 or 086 8150010.